Wearers of the Blue Scapular observe chastity, honour the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady and pray for the conversion of hardened sinners.
It was approved by Pope Clement X in 1671 following a vision in 1617 in Naples, Italy, given to the Venerable Ursula Benincasa, founder of the Congregation of Oblates of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
She saw the Holy Mother clothed in white, with another garment of deep blue over it. Mary was holding the infant Jesus, who told Ursula she would found a convent of 33 nuns who would wear the same habit and promised many graces to those who would follow this way of life.
Ursula begged that these blessings might extend to all who wore the scapular and Jesus told her this would be so. In 1633, her community took the title of the Theatines of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Like all of our scapulars, the Blue Scapular is hand made in England by traditionalist nuns.